Sunday, February 5, 2012

goodbye for 18 months :)


Jenna's Mission Call from Jenna Carson on Vimeo.
September 2011, opening my mission call with Elise, Kaitlin and Ariel (filming) and also my family on speaker-phone :) 

Last August I applied to serve an 18-month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Members of the church may choose to serve full-time missions if they like, and it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.   I distinctly remember the day I turned to my parents and said, "Well, I guess I'm going on a mission!"  I was 13 at the time, and had just received a special priesthood blessing.  As I received the blessing, I felt strong impressions about spreading the good news--the gospel of Christ!  That day, I began to look forward to serving a full-time mission for the church.  Women can serve missions after they turn 21 years old, so I had a few years to wait :)  It's surreal to think that I have, for eight years(!), felt so strongly about this mission. It's amazing to me that the time is already here! Tomorrow I will officially be set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I received my mission assignment in September.  I will be going to Tampa, Florida. Before I go to Tampa, I will spend two months in Utah at the Missionary Training Center (MTC).  (You can watch videos about the MTC and about LDS missions here).  I will focus on learning Spanish, studying gospel doctrine, and learning how to teach the gospel with the Holy Spirit. I know that when I teach the gospel, it won't be ME conveying the message--it will be the Holy Ghost.  I pray I can have the Holy Spirit with me so I can be an instrument in God's hands.  I pray I can do what Christ wants me to do--teach and serve others in love.

I have so much to learn and I am SO excited and thankful for this experience.  I am thankful to have so many family and friends supporting me.  God has sent me angels to help me and prepare me for this work.  I have, in the last few months, met people who have helped teach me important lessons in preparation for missionary service.  The most important lesson I can learn is how to love!  Thank you to those who have taught me so much about this--you continue to teach me, and I continue to look to your example of love and light.  When I'm on my mission I will be inspired to be better as I think about your examples in my life.

People keep asking me the same questions:  Are you ready?  Are you nervous?  Are you excited?  1) Well, I don't know if I'm "ready" but I feel ready and I know God will make up for everything I lack.  2) I am nervous about learning a new language, but I am trying to replace faith and love for nerves.  I have faith that the Lord will provide.  3) YES I AM EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to share the gospel message because it makes me incredibly happy, and I want all my brothers and sisters in God's family to enjoy this happiness with me.  I have learned that God's way is the only way that gives us true joy.  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6) and I know from experience that what our Savior said is true.  I know this because I have felt (and continue to feel) the peace, joy, and love that comes from following God.

Psalm 23 comes to my mind: "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake...I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me...thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

I know God leads us all.  Christ is our King and God is our Father, and the Holy Ghost will lead us to fulfill God's plan for us.

With love, peace and JOY,
Jenna

1 comment:

  1. Every day I use to read a new article which gives me little motivation, to write some amazing articles like yours for my Blog.

    ReplyDelete